On episode 5 of season 3 of the Shoot To Grill Podcast we have our special guest, comedian Paul Virzi! Our host Jason Bailey talks to Paul about his comedy mentors, which states have the best stand-up crowds, and his Judd Apatow movie project coming out soon! Today our grill master Matt Jones of Mabel’s Back Porch demonstrates how to cook New York strip steaks on the Kamado Joe.
Meat provided by: Atlanta Steaks & Seafood
New York Strip Steaks
- Gourmet Duck Fat Spray
- Banner Butter “ Sea Salt”
- Micro Greens ( for garnish)
- Baby Bella Mushrooms
- New York Strip Steaks
- Rubs: Atlanta Grill Company: Himalayan Sherpa ( For the
steak) & Atlanta Grill Company: Garlic & Herb ( for
mushrooms and to dust the steak.) of your choice.
- Heat Grill or smoker to 400
- Lightly spray steaks with Duck Fat
- Season to taste steaks with Himalayan Sherpa
- Place steaks on Kamado Joe (or any grill) adjacent to the
heat for a “reverse sear.” Close grill or smoker and turn
turn every 2 mins until internal temp reaches about
- Once steaks reach desired internal temp, pull from the
cool zone and place over direct flame.
- Turn every 10-15 seconds until you have a good even
sear known as the Mailard Reaction.
- Remove steaks based upon your desired doneness
- Place butter and “Garlic & Herb” rub into sauté pan and
place on smoker to dissolve.
- Place mushrooms on cool zone, spray with Duck Fat and
sprinkle Garlic & Herb. Once they begin to cook & shrink,
pull from grill.
- Remove from heat and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Slice against the grain, pour butter mixture over steaks
- Plate, add micro greens as garnishment and serve!
- Any questions reach out to Matt via Instagram:
@Kamado.Jones or our PopUp page